EASO has a key role as an independent centre of expertise on asylum. In this regard, EASO:
- collects data on asylum flows and all main stages of the Common European Asylum System via its Early warning and Preparedness System (EPS);
- acts as a clearing-house for European Country of Origin Information by drafting COI reports on major countries of origin, enhancing practical cooperation via meetings of country experts and manages the European COI Portal;
- provides an overview of the organisation of national asylum systems and asylum-relevant case law via its Information and Documentation System (IDS - forthcoming)
- conducts research into push, pull and intervening factors determining asylum-related migration via its Research Programme
- publishes an Annual report on the situation of asylum in the European Union as per Article 12 of its founding regulation.