With a view of maintaining a close dialogue with civil society, EASO has set up a Consultative Forum as mechanism for the exchange of information and pooling of knowledge.
The Consultative Forum is open to relevant civil society organisations and relevant competent bodies operating in the field of asylum policy at local, regional, national, European or International level. In other words, every interested organisation can register for membership to the EASO Consultative Forum. To date, the Consultative Forum Registry includes a variety of stakeholders ranging from NGOs, IGOs, academia, think tanks, representatives from Member State authorities and EU institutions.
Different activities are implemented and civil society organisations are consulted in various different ways, including:
- Consultative Forum Meetings: Small Scale Thematic Meetings and Annual Plenary Meetings;
- Consultations and on-line consultations including surveys on key EASO documents such as the Work Programme, the Annual Report on the Situation of Asylum in the EU, the General Annual Report as well as consultations on draft training modules, practical tools and guides;
- Direct involvement of selected CSOs in various EASO activities through invitations to thematic conferences, meetings, workshops, working parties and expert meetings.
Highlights of Consultative Forum activities in 2019
Five Consultative Forum meetings:
- The 9th Annual Plenary meeting, held on the 12th of November, was dedicated to the initial steps in the asylum procedure. It examined three initial steps in the procedure namely provision of information, the registration procedure and channelling and referral and was attended by more than 190 participants.
- A thematic meeting on gender-related persecution was organised on 11th July. The meeting, which was attended by a total of 30 specialised civil society organisations (CSOs) discussed and explored how CSOs support persons who experience gender-based persecution.
- In cooperation with EASO’s Information & Documentation System team, the CF Secretariat assisted with the organisation of three workshops (in March, October and November) which brought together representatives from think tanks and academia (the first two workshops) as well as civil society (the third workshop) to discuss the EASO Annual Report on the Situation of Asylum.
Five electronic consultations were carried out with more than 120 contributions received. The consultations concerned:
- input to the 2018 Annual Report on the Situation of Asylum in the EU;
- input from civil society for the 2019 meetings;
- input on the draft Work Programme 2020;
- input on the Annual General Report 2018;
- input on the EASO judicial analysis on legal standards for the reception of applicants for international protection.
Numerous CSOs also directly took part in many different EASO meetings and activities related to EASO operations, COI meetings, development of practical tools, training modules, material and training sessions, as well as activities in the context of the Vulnerability Expert Network (VEN).
More information on the workings of the Consultative Forum can be found
For any information, please contact the EASO Consultative Forum Contact Point at Consultative-Forum@easo.europa.eu.