EASO is an agency of the European Union set up by Regulation (EU) 439/2010 of the European Parliament and of the Council. The agency:
- acts as a centre of expertise on asylum;
- contributes to the development of the Common European Asylum System by facilitating, coordinating and strengthening practical cooperation among Member States on the many aspects of asylum;
- helps Member States fulfill their European and international obligations to give protection to people in need;
- provides practical and technical support to Member States and the European Commission;
- provides operational support to Member States with specific needs and to Member States whose asylum and reception systems are under particular pressure;
- provides evidence-based input for EU policymaking and legislation in all areas having a direct or indirect impact on asylum.
Please also find the EASO Brochure [EN]